Monday, 29 June 2015

AJE Fitefly blog hop


When I read Jen Cameron's (from AJE) post about fireflies, I totally wanted to jump on board!!
 For a few reasons.  Like Jen, I too assumed fireflies were everywhere, until I moved to areas that did not have any! I really have missed those majestic insects!!  I was excited to join in this blog hop!  Plus the top rule was to have fun!  This was my kind of rule!

I wanted to come up with a ceramic pendant centered around my childhood memory.  As a child, we would find fireflies so fascinating that our curiosity would have us trap them in jars and stare at them in awe. Trying to understand how a tiny bug could shine so bright!  We would always let them free of course - because this insect had gained much more respect than most other insect species!! Especially the mosquito!!
 
 
"those summer nights"

I made my little firefly filled glass jar with stoneware clay, painted it with underglaze, then glazed it with clear glaze, and gave it a large wire loop to mimic a jar handle.  I decided to continue on and turn my pendant into a necklace.  A jar of flies is a bit different to use as a jewelry component, but I like different!  So my theme centered around summer nights.  Within this necklace are some glass beads, a brass bead, and a paper bead that all represent various patio lanterns.  You will also see the little night owl:) I scored the batik ribbon from a destash of Mary Delray-I just love this stuff and suppose it could represent a summer dress. I wore this necklace while camping and it was a perfect fit!
Thanks Jen and AJE - I did have fun!!

Check out the others who joined the blog hop!  Thanks for having a peek!


Guest Designers:
 
Melissa Trudinger - https://beadrecipes.wordpress.com
Mary Detray - http://www.brassrabbitstudio.com/blog




33 comments:

  1. Your little jar is great. What a fun design. And the necklace is a fabulous summer piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love, love, love this. Your focal bead is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so PERFECT! And exactly how I remember my summers as a child too. Thanks for participating in the design challenge and for reading AJE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer! I REALLY enjoyed this!!

      Delete
  4. Yay, this is so sweet, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the whimsical pendant, it's perfect! The batik ribbon ties it all so nicely together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun piece Terri - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terri, this is fantastic! Also, you need to sell some of those jars because I want one! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would gladly make one for you!! Bead swap:)???

      Delete
  8. Ah, that is an adorable pendant and beautifully finished whimsical design, Terri :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely and yet also light and carefree - perfect for summer. Your focal is perfect! The wire handle is genius! And I love your colors...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pendant is fantastic! Fireflies captured in jars is such a wonderful childhood memory of mine too. Your design is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your necklace so makes me wish that I had grown up in an area that had fireflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a big compliment!! Sorry you missed fireflies!!

      Delete
  12. What a great way to interpret the theme. Love the lightning bug jar

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a really sweet pendant, and a perfect summer night necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful design, I absolutely love the pendant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great choice. I too wanted to try something to showcase the fireflies and how we caught them at night and put in jars for nightlights...Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful piece, your ceramic pendant is just perfect and the necklace is beautifully balanced!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jars of fireflies is a good childhood memory for me too. Your pendant is adorable. Great job with this challenge.

    ReplyDelete